Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

1 Borneo Grand Ballroom Dinner

Yesterday I went to a Hari Guru dinner at 1 Borneo's Grand Ballroom dinner with my colleague as representatives of our school. We were a little nervous because we were practical teachers representing the image of the school.

Significant awkward moment that night:

1. We were so hyped to wear blazer to the dinner. The one I wore was a blazer but since the material and color matched very well with my slack pants, you may call it a suit.
2. So officially we "suited-up" for the dinner.
3. But, it turned out the most of the guests in the ballroom wore Batik. 'Most' here was almost 98 percent.
4. The receptionists at the main entrance mistook as the piano players.
5. When I looked around a bit, I noticed that we looked like hotel manager.
6. Awesome.

Anyway, that night I witnessed two retired teachers receiving their awards for their service to the field.

30 years of service.

I don't have particular reasons, but I felt a little melancholic seeing the process of the award ceremony. The award ceremony began with a retelling of their background, life, their rise and fall as teachers, their contributions to the state and country, their services in the government.

This melancholy is not due to the feelings of inspiration to such servitude and loyalty.

Instead, I just can't imagine myself serving 30 years of my life for the field. It's not that I'm unhappy for my current condition and development at the school, in fact I was very delighted with my students cooperation and excitement in learning. I appreciated the school's staff sincere guidance and treatment towards us as practical teachers. I have confidence in teaching the two English classes I was held responsible. I couldn't be more happier. However...

I don't want people to go all melancholy and touched when they talk about me. Right, maybe that does not sound plausible.

I want to do more in this life. Teaching is a noble job. But it does not mean that I'd be willing to live and die with it. I don't want to end up as a 'burnt-out' teacher as lose my will to live and the capacity to be happy and enjoy this life. They said high-paying job offers you good money yet less time to enjoy life. As a teacher you can have more than enough time to embrace life with moderate pay. This could be true but I had witnessed more than enough 'burnt-out' teachers who had no life and led their lives less than a zombie. So in the end they had no money and no life. Then they join MLM business and abandon teaching. Now that's a pathetic ending because once you're a teacher, you'll be forever carved with the title on your forehead.

So when you're burn-out, it's time to quit. Don't do more damage to yourself and the future of others.

Here's my pledge to keep my sanity before I enter the servitude:
1. I will not ever give up my freedom to dress, to behave, to do whatever I used to do whenever I'm out of the premise.
2. When I teach, I will teach with passion and sincerity and teach not only what's in the books but most importantly lessons of life.
3. Pursue higher qualifications as soon as I get the chance.
4. To teach as a human, not as a book.
5. Maintain my own character and my outlook towards life.

2 Comments:

Fanzi Ruji said...[Reply]

i love this.. u're an inspiration..

Anonymous said...[Reply]

i felt the same way as u do b4 being 1. dont b a teacher. it's not a noble job! i was in n now i want out! stressful days ahead!good luck!